If you’re tapped in to hot-button issues in Vietnam, then you probably already know that there’s been a lot of speculation lately about how and when the current home ownership laws may change with respect to foreigners.
As it currently stands, a foreigner qualifies to purchase an apartment or single-family home if he or she is:
1) Married to a Vietnamese resident;
2) Works for a foreign-invested, non-real-estate-related company operating in Vietnam that needs to house its employees;
3) An individual who invests directly in Vietnam or occupies a management position in Vietnam;
4) A recipient of medals or a certificate of merit from Vietnam's president or government for contributions to the country; or
5) Someone who works in socioeconomic fields, holds at least a bachelor's degree, and possesses special knowledge and skills that Vietnam needs.